Hands with an ace in them are called soft hands in Blackjack. What makes them soft hands is the flexibility you get while using the Aces. It can be used as 1 or 11 as per the condition. For example, a hand with an Ace and 10 can be counted as 21. On the other hand, a hand with an Ace, 7 and 5, an ace can be counted as 1 only since other ways you go bust (over 21).
Since the ground rule for playing Black jack is to avoid going over 21, the one getting to 21 first wins. This is why an Ace makes it easier.
Playing Soft Hands
One fundamental approach to playing soft hands is to make it into hard hands. You do this by assessing your cards against the dealer up card and taking different positions such as HIT, Double or Stand till he goes burst. Keep in mind; you can double up only on the first tow cards, so make that decision in time even if you are gambling in an online casino.
Here are some tips:
Start off by looking at the dealer’s up card. A lot depends on what card he has and what position you take.
- If the dealer has 5 or 6 and you are Ace 2 or 3, Double-up otherwise Hit.
- If the dealer has 4 to 6 and you have an Ace 5 or Ace 4, Double up or Hit.
- If the dealer has 3,4,5,6 and you have an Ace 6, Double up or else Hit.
- If the dealer has 2,7, or 8 and you have an Ace 7, Stand, Double when the dealer has 3,4,5,6 or Hit.
- Always stand if you have An Ace 8 or Ace 9. You don’t want to risk being busted.
By playing as mentioned, you can reduce the house edge and get some competitiveness back in the game or even win some significant casino bonuses.